Reverse Engineering RET Homepage RET Members Reverse Engineering Projects Reverse Engineering Papers Reversing Challenges Reverser Tools RET Re-Search Engine Reverse Engineering Forum Reverse Engineering Links

Go Back   Reverse Engineering Team Board > Reverse Engineering Board > File Unpacking
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-05-2008, 07:00 PM

Default RE Proprietary File Format

Hey,

I am working on reading data from a file archive. The file archive is of the same type as MPQ/UOP are, lots of files in it, some are compressed, some are not, supports different kind of compression.

So the file has a header which is 80% RE
File contains filetables
- filetables have a header 100% RE
- Each file entry is 100% RE

Might wonder where the problem is, well the problem is regarding the metadata the file contains before most sets of data.
The metadata is usually (99% of the time) P or P+1 Byte long.
First 8 bytes are understood since they are the metadata header. However now the not so good part is coming.
The metadata also contains a 'Byte chain' which is 128 Bytes long. I am also pretty sure that what is represented by that Byte chain is not more than 30 or 40 Bytes long and represent filenames.

So, here is the question:
Does anyone of you would happen to know what kind of algorithm (hash/encryption....) is capable of doing whatever is done to the input and spits out exactly 128 Bytes ?

Regards,

PS: Sorry, can't really go into details regarding the file format I can only say that my objectives is to retrieve sample lua files. The game allows for addon but the company won't give us which functions we have access too nor the format we need to use.
Old 01-06-2008, 07:19 PM

Update:
Archive have files, files have metadata (crypted in some kind of way), files who have the same metadata have the same crc32 hash ... the cryptic metadata is 128 bytes long ...

the metadata is getting weirder by the second...