Reverse Engineering RET Homepage RET Members Reverse Engineering Projects Reverse Engineering Papers Reversing Challenges Reverser Tools RET Re-Search Engine Reverse Engineering Forum Reverse Engineering Links

Go Back   Reverse Engineering Team Board > Reverse Engineering Board > Reverse Code Engineering
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-19-2009, 06:44 AM

Default install problem Vista64 and Multikey 0.18.0.3

Hi Guys

I have a serious problem with getting the Multikey emulator 0.18.0.3 to install on my Vista 64 bit notebook.

I have used Git’s nice tool (dmp2mkey v. 23) to do a dump of my Sentinel superpro dongle and it worked fine.

My problem is every time I try to install the multikey emulator, by using install.cmd (running as admin) I get the message “No devices were removed. Devcon failed.”

I have tried many approaches to get around this (I have admin rights in the Vista)

- I have added my multikey dir path to Vistas path.
- downloaded new devcon 64 file and put it in the windows dir
- done all the calls from a dos prompt ex.: devcon install multikey.inf root\multikey
- I have used the below link as guideline

http://www.reteam.org/board/showthre...+64+se ntinel

Can anyone come up with a clue ?

Regards to you all

Sharps
Old 08-19-2009, 07:26 AM
Super Moderator

You need to overwrite the old devcon.exe with the new devocn.exe and run install.bat from there.

Git
Old 08-19-2009, 08:44 AM

Git,

Thank you for a quick reply

I did what you said - I searched Vista to find all devcon.cmd.
I deleted all and copyed the devcon from Chrishel’s link to the folder …. Multikeyemu-V0.18.0.3\Release\MultiKey64

and started the install.cmd as admin from the MultiKey64 folder

I still get the same error

Chrishel’s link:
http://rapidshare.com/files/215029834/devcon-x64.zip

Any new suggestions ?

Regards

Sharps
Old 08-19-2009, 09:34 AM
Super Moderator

So did you download latest 64bit devcon.exe from here?. I uploaded the latest version here - do a search. It is devcon.exe not devcon.cmd

Git
Old 08-19-2009, 11:02 AM

Git,

Yes I did - sorry for my mistake. it is devcon.exe I use

I still get the same error by using it

I have downloaded it from rapidshare - I got the link in this forum (from Chrishel to rapidshare) - The file info is:

File and product version : 6.0.6001.18000
Size: 79.0 KB (80896 bytes)
Size on disk: 80.0 KB (81920 bytes)
date: 18th of Jan 2008

Regards

Sharps
Old 08-19-2009, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp View Post
Git,

Yes I did - sorry for my mistake. it is devcon.exe I use

I still get the same error by using it

I have downloaded it from rapidshare - I got the link in this forum (from Chrishel to rapidshare) - The file info is:

File and product version : 6.0.6001.18000
Size: 79.0 KB (80896 bytes)
Size on disk: 80.0 KB (81920 bytes)
date: 18th of Jan 2008

Regards

Sharps

Correct me if I'm wrong I believe you still need ReadyDriver as the driver certificate problem still exists.
Old 08-20-2009, 07:51 AM

@Git any further clues or ideas ?

@cadbob
Yes and it has been installed from the beginning – It is in the guidance I listed above – but thank you anyway :-)

Do you gave any additional clues ?

Regards

Sharps
Old 08-20-2009, 12:01 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
My problem is every time I try to install the multikey emulator, by using install.cmd (running as admin) I get the message “No devices were removed. Devcon failed.”
There is no install.cmd, do you mean install.bat?. I am not being pedantic, I ask because the error message you show is likely to come from remove.bat, not install.bat.

install.bat is like this :

Code:
@devcon remove root\multikey
@devcon install multikey.inf root\multikey
@pause
The first line is to remove any old version that may be running, The second line does the business of installing the new version. If you are failing on line 1 but line 2 works OK then that is fine. After all, if MK isn't installed it can't be removed. I would recommend you open a cmd shell in the installation dir and type the two lines above, one at a time and without the '@'. Copy and paste the cmd shell here afterwards.

Later... just occured to me - is multikey.cat in the same directory?

Later still... one thing that may help is to get rid of any multikey entries in the Inf directory. Uninstall multikey then use your favourite file search tool to search WIndows\Inf directory for files containing multikey. It will find something like oem73.inf. Delete oem73.inf and oem73.PNF, also delete branches.PNF and INFCACHE.1. Now run RegEdit, find HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\multikey and delete just that key. If you have not done this before don't do it. If you do not have permission to delete it, Take Ownership, then delete it. If you don't know what I am talking about don't even think about trying it, you will torch your windows installation. Reboot and try the multikey installation again.

Git

Last edited by Git : 08-20-2009 at 12:16 PM. Reason: additions
Old 08-21-2009, 11:53 AM

Git,

First of all thank you for your inputs to my problem. Your input initiated me to start thinking in different directions which actually solved the problem :-)

I got it up running and I have listed my approach below. It can be the case that some of my points can be skipped but I will look into that later when I have some more time – Anyhow this is what I did:

First I updated to Vista SP2
I then looked for a up-to-date devcon.exe to download. The only up-to-date devcon.exe I could find was from (07-13- 2009) from MS homepage Windows Driver Developmen Kit v 7.0.0 So I had to install Windows Driver Developmen Kit. 7

Link http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/devtoo...elNotesW7.mspx

You only need to install tools in the installation menu to get the devcon which install in: C:\WinDDK\7600.16385.0\Tools\devcon\

There are 3 devcon folders : amd64, i386 and ia64, the amd version worked on my PC (Intel Core 2 duo) ? strange with a intel cpu - but it did.
Path: C:\WinDDK\7600.16385.0\Tools\devcon

I will attach all 3 files here as well as I have listed my way getting the Multikey up and run for the very beginning.

Then I put all the files from the MultiKey64 folder in the multikey folder - path: C:\MultiKey\multikey
I replaced the devcon.exe in this folder (multikey) with the one I mentioned above.

After this I started a dos prompt as administrator and “moved” to the C:\MultiKey\multikey folder. Hereafter I gave the following command: devcon install multikey.inf root\multikey
This installed the Multikey, I checked and I could see it in the Device Manager as SafeNet USB SuperPro/UltraPro under Universal Serial Bus Controllers. I tested the application and it was running like a dream :-)

For those of you who need to do this installation from the beginning I will hereby list the whole installation I did I’m quite sure that you can skip some of the steps I have done but this is to get it out to you as quick as possible – I will work on doing a batch job or a real windows installation project later when I have the time – Here it is:

Download:
- MultiKeyEmu v. 0.18.0.3
- Git tool dmp2mkey v 2.3
- PVA v 3.3

1. Plug in your Sentinel dongle SuperPro into the USB port
2. Use PVA sprodmp.exe file to dump the dongle data – It creates a .dmp file
3. Use Git Tool dmp2mKey to make a .reg file
4. Install the .reg file (by doubleclick on it and select “to reg”)
5. You can check number 4 by using regedit and follow the path in the .reg file
6. Make the following folders: C:\MultiKey\multikey
7. Copy the files from MultiKey64 folder (MultiKeyEmu) to the C:\MultiKey\multikey folder.
8. Replace the devcon.exe file with the one I have attached to this reply
9. Start a dos prompt as administrator
10. Move to multikey folder in the path: C:\MultiKey\multikey (you can use the cd command or whatever)
11. type or paste the following command: devcon remove root\multikey (to remove if any installed)
12. type or paste the following command: devcon install multikey.inf root\multikey - a text in the dos window should tell you that the installation was successful
13. Check in the Device Manager under Universal Serial Bus Controllers here you should see a SafeNet USB SuperPro/UltraPro installed.
14. You are done :-)

Regards to Git and all of You and keep up the good work

Sharps
Old 08-21-2009, 12:03 PM

File attached are devcon.exe files remove the OS /CPU mark and change the zip to exe
SO pick the one you need and rename as listed below:

devconAMD64.zip = devcon.exe
devconI386.zip = devcon.exe
devconIA64.zip = devcon.exe
Attached Files
File Type: zip devconAMD64.zip (80.0 KB, 938 views)
File Type: zip devconI386.zip (76.0 KB, 652 views)